Healthy Ice Cream
In a society which is ever more body conscious and people be very careful on what they eat in there daily lives, a big part of someones diet will mainly always focus around whether it being healthy or not. Is there any such thing as Healthy Ice Cream? well yes, although ice cream in general isn’t too bad for you just like anything as a treat every once in a while there are ways to create your own Healthy Ice Cream with simple recipes and very healthy ingredients.
Her we have listed some simple and very easy step by step guides to creating Healthy Ice Cream.
Almond Butter, Caramel Swirled, Vanilla Bean – Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
vegan, makes about 5 cups
5 large extra ripe bananas, frozen
1 cup (+ 2-3 Tbsp as needed) non-dairy milk
a few pinches vanilla bean powder or vanilla bean seeds (whole bean)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil, extra virgin
1 Tbsp water
peanut butter swirl:
2 Tbsp peanut or almond butter, softened to a drizzle-able state
*add 1-2 tsp melted coconut oil if your nut butter is quite thick
1-2 Tbsp mini vegan chocolate chips
2 Tbs crushed raw walnuts or chopped almonds (optional)
a few pinches of cinnamon
1. Place a stainless steel or glass bowl or container in the freezer before getting started. Having a chilled dish helps the Healthy Ice Cream freeze and chill for serving more quickly.
2. Add the ice cream ingredients, banana, non-dairy milk and vanilla bean, to a high speed blender, start blending until the bananas become thick and creamy like a very thick shake or smoothie. The thicker the better, so I only add the extra two tablespoons of vegan milk if needed. Be careful blending thick shakes and ice cream, you also do not want to overheat your blender, so add enough liquid so things blend smoothly. Once smooth, creamy and thick, pour the mixture into the chilled pan.
3. Fold in the optional nuts and chocolate chips. Then gently fold in the softened almond or peanut butter swirl. Place the ice cream dish in the freezer.
4. Caramel: In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add the caramel ingredients. Heat while stirring until the mixture starts to bubble. Allow the mixture to boil and bubble for about a minute, still while stirring, then remove from heat. This should take only about 3-4 minutes total. Pour the caramel into a small mug or bowl to quicken the cooling process. The caramel will thicken as it cools. When the caramel has cooled to a thickened state, usually about 3-4 minutes in a cool dish, pull the banana ice cream from the freezer and swirl the caramel on top and fold into the mixture. The slight warmth from the caramel should lightly melt the ice cream so that you can gently fold the swirl into the mixture. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just get that caramel sauce folded in there and swirled along the edges of the dish. If the ice cream looks to be melting too much, allow the caramel to cool a bit longer and try again – keeping the ice cream dish in the freezer when not in use. The last step is to smooth the swirled ice cream mixture with a spatula and add a pinch of cinnamon over top.
5. You will now chill the ice cream until it is at a scoopable state. This Healthy Ice Cream tastes best when it is slightly soft but fully chilled. So if you chill the ice cream over night you may notice that it gets rock hard (from the banana base) so just be sure to thaw the ice cream long enough before serving. Store leftovers in the freezer, covered.
10 – Minute Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
Per 1/2-cup serving:
- 177 cal
- 16 g fat (14 g sat)
- 10 g carbs
- 10 mg sodium
- 3 g fiber
- 6 g sugar
- 1.5 g protein
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 3 hours
1 pound (16 ounces) frozen strawberries
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon liquid Stevia
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a strong blender or food processor and mix just until smooth.
- Transfer to a plastic container and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Churn the mixture with a sturdy whisk or fork, breaking up any ice crystals or frozen bits; return it to the freezer for another half-hour. Repeat until it firms up (about 3 hours altogether).
- Enjoy Healthy Ice Cream
Healthy Ice Cream
So if your looking for a way to enjoy a tasty treat but with no substitute for health then these recipes are a good way to start. Just like anything that is labelled Healthy it may not be to everyone’s taste so experiment with your ingredients. Our Mr Whippy Ice Cream has been around for years and years and a lot of those were to try and develop it in a way that the taste was great as ever but with the minimum amount of sugars etc needed to make it taste delicious.
You can still enjoy our Mr Whippy Ice Cream just as long as you don’t make it the key factor in your diet which applies for anything else a big bar of chocolate or fizzy drinks, if consumed in a balanced lifestyle a treat will never effect your overall health.